Monday, June 15, 2009

Twilight Review: Toothiness


I wonder if the frequent mentioning of Edward's teeth and/or smile is a subtle bit of foreshadowing or character nuance on Meyers' part. (Yeah, right, says the adult audience) Then again, maybe it's just the lovestruck pining of a narcissistic twit like Bella. In either case, it's inconsistent, and not helping me to mentally sketch a visual of Edward. Well, a visual that isn't this guy:



So let's look at some of Bella's conflicting descriptions of the aforementioned broody vamp (look, even though we don't know he's a vampire at this point in the book, I'm not going to pretend I haven't existed in the world for the past couple of years).



Page 44: "I looked up to see him smiling a crooked smile so beautiful that I could only stare at him like an idiot."


Ok, so he's got crooked teeth? A crooked mouth? Not without its charm, we all knew that guy. Let's move forward. To when Edward is starting to display some more signs of either manic depression or extreme jerk-itude (next posting) and is all like "Oh, I can read everyone, but I CAN'T READ YOU!"(page 50)


" "You must be a good reader then," I replied.

"Usually." He smiled widely, flashing a set of perfect, ultrawhite teeth."



So which is it, Bella? He went from believably flawed to creepy colgate-boy in 6 pages. You are not helping me. And his creepy morphing vamp-eyes don't help. For crying out loud, if I didn't know better, I'd think she was falling for some long-lost member of the X-men, with super strength, chameleon skin, and excessive smugness. (I've stopped counting how many times Meyers uses a form of the word 'smug.')

I must confess, though, I am finding this experience hilarious and enjoyable, and admit to being sucked in by the story.

Next post, Edward's increasing creepiness, Bio class hilarity, and missed opportunities for Bella to just punch this guy in the face.

1 comment:

  1. "Then again, maybe it's just the lovestruck pining of a narcissistic twit like Bella."

    Personally, I think any day you can use the phrase "narcissistic twit" is a good day.

    ReplyDelete